As we have covered in previous blog posts, one of the key factors in keeping your home, safe, secure, and warm is to schedule regular roof inspections. Typically, you would want these roof inspections to be performed once or (preferably) twice a year.
If you have had an inspection done within the last six months, it is very possible that having an inspection will yield no cause for alarm and that your shingles, soffits, flashing, and all the other elements that make up your roof are in perfectly good condition. So, what is the point of having an inspection done? Much like taking your car to a trusted garage for maintenance, a roof inspection is worthwhile whether the inspection yields good news or bad news. If you believe your roof is in good working order, is it not a comfort to have that confirmed by an expert? Similarly, if you suspect there might be issues with your roof, a thorough inspection will be the most effective means of determining the presence and severity of those issues.
Here are a few common roofing issues an inspection will check for and potentially prevent:
- Holes In Your Soffits: Soffits should never be described as “gaping”. One thing you may spot is the presence of rotting or perforated material on your soffits. The causes of holes in your soffits are two-fold. Either moisture has gotten in your soffits, causing rot, or pests have begun to eat through the soffits. Minor damage is easy to repair, but if the rot or perforations are extensive, a new soffit system may be required.
- Loose Flashing: Caused primarily by weather, flashing issues will increase the number of leaks in the home.
- Joint Separation In Gutters: Separated joints in your gutters will result in some leaks, but they can be easily caulked.
- Damaged Gutters: Gutter leaks may simply be the result of holes in the gutter system, which will need to be patched.
- Rotten Fascia: This one is fairly easy to spot with the naked eye if you do not have a gutter system. If you do, simply check behind the gutters for signs of rot.
The only reason to potentially skip over a roof inspection is if you know there are problems with your roofing. If you live in Hamilton, Oakville, Burlington, or the surrounding areas, and you suspect you may have any roofing issues, call us! You can always call Same Day Roofing at (905) 902 7663 for a free estimate on potential insulation issues, roof repairs, roof installations or roof replacements.